Saturday, March 3, 2012

Review - Hush, Hush by Becca Fitpatrick

Goodreads Blurb:

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. 

With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
 

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.


My Thoughts:

I'll come right out and say it. I didn't love this book. I went in having read amazing reviews of it, but it fell short for me. Here's why:

1. Patch - I think I lack that female gene that makes me attracted to bad boys. Well, that's not exactly true, but I definitely wasn't a Patch fan. I guess I like my bad boys a little more "I'll stop at nothing to achieve my goals, then torture you for fun, all while looking amazingly hot in a suit" and a little less sexual harrassment-y. So what if he has a motorbike? Also, I really couldn't get my mind around his name. You have a so-called sexy male lead with strange abilities and you can name him anything, but you name him Patch? Seriously? Patch is a dog's name. Or maybe a clown.

2. Vee Sky - Vee is the main character Nora's best friend. Without giving too much away, she has got to be one of the densest side kicks/best friends ever. Combine that with the other, super annoying crap she does and I have no idea why Nora even wastes her time. But at least she's always willing to loan Nora her car.

3. Lack of parental involvement - Maybe this is just because I have a great relationship with my parents, but why didn't Nora tell her mom anything? Seriously, your parents are there to help. If I had been Nora, I definitely would have told my mom the various things that happened and probably would have ended up with a restraining order and some serious medication.

Now that I have my rant out of the way, let me say I didn't hate this book either. Becca Fitzpatrick has a great voice and, despite my various issues with the story, I was definitely driven to finish it and see what happened to Nora in the end.

Favourite Scene:

The scene where Nora attempted the sexy interrogation technique you see in the movies.


Favourite Character:

Nora Grey, though I don't agree with a lot of the choices she made.

Rating: 3 hearts.

1 comment:

  1. I read this one I think around the time it first came out and had a lot of the same feelings. I've never felt particularly compelled to pick up the next book in the series. But oh my goodness, this:

    "You have a so-called sexy male lead with strange abilities and you can name him anything, but you name him Patch? Seriously? Patch is a dog's name. Or maybe a clown."

    Hilarious!

    Michelle
    Re-Reading High School

    ReplyDelete