Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Review: World After

Info:
Title: World After
Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn and the End of Days #2
Publisher: Skyscape
Publication Date: November 19, 2013
Source: Purchased.

Synopsis:
In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

Review:
I absolutely loved Angelfall, so I was very excited to read the sequel, World After. Unfortunately, this installment lack some of the magic of the first book, but was still an enjoyable read. Also, please note there might be spoilers for book one if you haven't read it yet (get on it!).

I think my main issue was that Raffe was absent for a large portion of the book. Raffe was my favourite character in Angelfall, so to not have him around wasn't great. Also, I wasn't a huge fan of Penryn without Raffe. She had a lot of time to dwell and repress her feelings towards Raffe, which kind of got on my nerves for some reason.

However, beyond that, I enjoyed the book. Penryn continued to be pretty badass. Penryn's mom continued to be that bizarre combination of totally badass and completely insane. And Paige! Poor Paige. I just wanted to give her a big hug, but I can totally understand why Penryn acted the way she did and I probably would too.

There's lot of excitement. Also, the locusts are super creepy, especially later on when you learn more about them. Also daring escapes and the like.

Overall, World After was a fun, enjoyable read that didn't quite live up to my love of the first book, but was definitely enjoyable enough to make me anxious for the next book.



Find the Book:
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Find the Author:
Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook

6 comments:

  1. I have to admit i only skimmed this review since I have ANGELLFALL on my TBR and i need to read it because everyone always has amazing things to say about it so i really should. i'm happy to hear that the sequel delivered for you and that you liked it and it didn't suffer from second bok syndrome! Now i'm even more excited to start the series
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first book which is rare for me because normally I have a very love hate relationship with angel books but I couldn't help it, I loved the writing. I so need to pick this one up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you still enjoyed this book even though it wasn't as amazing as the first. I need to read this series!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to read this book, I haven't caught up yet but I wonder why Raffe is absent for most of the book? I'm really curious and I'm glad it lived up to the 1st book. Lovely review Megan!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the first book too, but I think I'm going to hold off on reading this one until book 3 comes out (for real this time, LOL--how many times has the publish date been pushed back now?). I'm glad you liked it though. Even if it wasn't quite as good as book 1 . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear that some of the magic was missing, but it does sound like a decent follow up overall

    ReplyDelete