Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Armchair BEA: Introductions

Somehow I've been blogging for quite a while, yet I've never done Armchair BEA (or actual BEA either). So thing year I'm in!

First off is introductions. Here's my 5 answers:

1, Tell us a bit about yourself: How long have you been blogging? Where are you from? How did you get into blogging?

I've been blogging for a pretty long time actually. My first post for January 31, 2012! That's more than 3 years ago, which seems totally crazy. I'm from Canada and I got into blogging I think because I didn't have anyone in my 'real life' that I could talk about books with.

2. What does diversity mean to you?

Diversity to me means having as wide a range of books and characters as there are readers. Readers should be able to easily find stories about characters who are like them, whether that is based on race or ethnicity, sexual orientation, economic status, physical appearance, disability or whatever. Not every reader is a middle class white girl who doesn't realize how beautiful she is. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those books. But I also want to see books about people of Asian, African, First Nations, or South American heritage (whether they still live there or have immigrated elsewhere. I want books about straight couples and gay couples and transgendered people and any other sexual identities. I want characters from the inner cities and the suburbs and the mansions on top of a hill. I want characters who is in a wheelchair or blind or with a learning disability. Basically, I want to people I meet in books to be a better mirror for the people I meet in my everyday life.

What book are you reading right now?

I just started my ARC of Sweet by Emmy Laybourne this afternoon!

What is the top book in your TBR pile?

The next book on my TBR is an ARC of Tangled Webs by Lee Bross that I got in the mail a few days ago.

Take a picture of your bookshelf and share it with us! :) (#ABEAShelfie)

I have 2 for you, since I don't really understand shelfies and if I'm supposed to be in them or not.




Anyone else doing Armchair BEA? Link in the comments so I can visit you!

5 comments:

  1. I very much agree with you on the diversity question. I've made a concerted effort to read diversely this year. Still not as much as I should, but I've found when I purposely set it to do so, it actually happens.
    My Armchair BEA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shelfie with and without you! Nice to see ya!
    Happy ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Years is a long time! I'm getting close to 4 myself, it goes by so fast eh? I love what you said about diversity too, we need more books with a wide spectrum of all different kinds of people. And I love your shelfies! I don't know if you're supposed to be in it or not either lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where in Canada are you from? I love your shelfie - lots of my books are packed right now so it makes me jealous
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete